Publisert: 22.08.2011 | Sist endret: 22.08.2011
Through a project initiated by the Norwegian Film Institute a chain of seven Cinematheques has been established all over Norway. In addition to the Cinematheque of Oslo, which is part of the activities of the Norwegian Film Institute, you now find Cinematheques in Kristiansand, Stavanger, Bergen, Lillehammer, Trondheim, and Tromsø.
* = Påkrevd felt
The first screening of a digital film on our program is done simultaneously at the seven sites, taking advantage of national publicity and marketing. The screenings take place every Thursday at 6 pm, and the whole concept is called Torsdagsfilmen – the Thursday Film.
All ordinary cinemas in Norway are now completely digitised and 35mm prints are no longer screened. Most of the seven Cinematheques still have their main activity the old way, screening films on film, and the Thursday film screenings are just a minor part of their activities.
All the seven venues are equipped with the very best d-cinema equipment (minimum 2K, DCI), and five of them are able to show 4K.
The objectives of the Cinematheque chain are
- To cooperate in a chain of seven digital Cinematheques in Norway in Bergen, Kristiansand, Lillehammer, Oslo, Stavanger, Tromsø, and Trondheim and in that way make cinema screenings of classics more available in Norway
- To partly replace 35mm film with high quality digital formats (minimum 2K, DCI) for Cinematheque screenings
- To make more classic films from world film history available for high quality Cinematheque screenings, also including newer film, documentaries, shorts, and other films of special interest
- To make classic films in 2K and 4K resolution available for other art house cinemas or for film societies, and as high quality alternative content in commercial cinemas
- To set up an infrastructure for broadband HD-streaming of introductions and other film related events between the collaborating Cinematheques
- To promote digitisation of classical Norwegian films to 2K or 4K.
Since October 2008 the seven Cinematheques have had weekly screenings on every Thursday at 6 pm, the same film is screened simultaneously in the seven cities. By August 2011 some hundred films have been screened.
For more information contact Erlend Jonassen, se column to the righ for details
The Norwegian Digital Cinematheques with Europe's Finest, an EU project on digitising European classical for cinema. www.finest-film.com